There are not many things as personal as a purse. I have only purchased a couple in my life. I remember my favorites with warmth and sadness at their passings: the navy blue Stone Mountain leather shoulder bag was at the top of the list. I got it before Dan was born and carried it for years and years.
I replaced that with a brown leather minibag. I loved it mostly because it had a back zipper compartment that functioned as a wallet with pockets for credit cards. But it could not hold my insulin kit and had no convenient place for a cell phone. (It pre-dated that technology.)
For the past couple of years I have been using one from Boyds--functional but not well made. It tended to fold over rather than stand up straight.
Last week I began considering replacing it. We are going to London in 10 days, so a new purse was becoming important. Yesterday I decided it was time. I took Dad to the airport and stopped at shopping malls all the way home--Dulles Town Center, Tysons Corner, Frederick, the Gettysburg outlet mall--but nothing grabbed my heart. I tried the Nordstrom Rack and every shoe store and department store along that 93 mile route, but no luck. I was even ready to look at Walmart!!
Then today I went to Kohl's here in Hanover, and dug through their sale bins for an hour. Then there it was. The right purse for me! Black leather, lots of compartments, not too big, straps long enough to go over my shoulder--I did have to get a wallet, but the purse will accommodate my insulin and cell phone, and it won't break my back in the process.
I know this is a lame post, but January is slow-down time, and this is as exciting as I can get until all the decorations are put away!!
1 comment:
Hey, a quest for the right purse is just as serious as the quest for the right pair of shoes or a great new dress. I'm glad that you found the right one for you. It took me several years to find the right wallet for me, I found it this past summer in Park City. By the way, did you find anything good/fun in all that shopping that you did? I always liked Tyson's Corner (the metro has a station below the mall, nice).
Post a Comment