Sunday, September 21, 2008

Be careful when you bargain with the Lord

This has been an interesting week.
As all of you know, Dad will be making a change in January, and we have been seeking this blessing in prayer for over 9 months. All of you have had a part in this, and we appreciate your efforts and prayers as well.
As part of our prayers, we frequently asked for this blessing as a means for Dad to serve more effectively in this area because he would be home more often. We repeatedly offered to serve in any capacity that the Lord had need of us. (Of course, we both meant wherever He had need of Dad.)
Well, on our way home from Courtney's baptismal service I got a call on my cell from our bishop. He didn't remember we were out of town, but asked to meet with us when we were both home. I told him we would be getting in late Sunday evening, but that Dad would be here for much of the week. We set a time for Monday evening at our house, and didn't think anything more of it until the next day when we were actually driving home.
Since we were making really good time, we called Bishop Long from Frederick and said we could see him Sunday evening if he wanted to move things along. He said 6:30, and Dad and I speculated about what ways he could serve for much of the rest of the trip home.
When Bishop came over, he had some papers for Dad to sign and then looked at me and said, "I really came here to talk to you." Dad still thought the bishop meant him, and was confused because he wasn't looking at him.
Bishop Long then said, "No, I am talking to you. I have come to call you to be the Relief Society President."
My shocked response was, "You're kidding!!" because I really thought he was joking around. He answered, "I most certainly am not."
So-o-o-o, after a trip to the temple yesterday, Dad told me he had a clear confirmation that his change in employment was to support me. I will be sustained on Sunday the 28th.
Prayers are welcome.

2 comments:

nanamoo said...

I think you will be a wonderful RS President. I am sure your seminary students will miss you though.

Jen S. said...

We never know where we are needed. You'll do just fine.