So, yesterday I was sustained as the President of the Relief Society of the Gettysburg Ward of the York Pennsylvania Stake of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Whew!
Two weeks of preparation was ended. Dad gave me a beautiful blessing before we left for meetings. Bishop invited the former RS President and me to bear our testimonies, and I taught the fast Sunday Presidency lesson. (We have Stake Conference the weekend following General Conference, so this is how we scheduled things.) My lesson was on "Why do we come to Church?" (answer: to learn to live like Christ) with a few references to Sis. Julie B. Beck's reminders of the purpose of Relief Society from Saturday's broadcast.
After our new presidency was set apart, Dad and I went to lunch at one family's home and to dinner at another's. It felt like racing between in-laws on Thanksgiving Day!! We were stuffed!
I had handed over all the seminary materials to a very dear and capable friend on Friday, so there was no week of reading to do last night from the New Testament, no props to scurry around gathering, no hot chocolate mix to shake up, no alarm to set. We stayed up until 10 pm!!
This morning I woke to birds singing outside. The rain clouds are breaking up. The trees are beginning to turn color. The garden is starting to yawn in preparation for a long well-earned rest. I am ready to begin this new phase with the Lord's help.
I love this new calling already.
1 comment:
Ahhh...that's awesome!
Post a Comment