Friday, January 16, 2009

No, I didn't leave my heart, but...


(I wish you could hear the haunting music and rich voice of Glen Yarbrough singing this Rod McKuen classic)

So long, San Francisco,
Now it's time to leave,
Though the fog is all around me,
A'tugging at my sleeve.

I've overstayed my welcome.
Now it's time to go,
So, I'll just say,
"So long, San Francisco."

It's always hard to leave a lady,
Hard to know what to say.
When you love a lady like I love San Francisco,
Words don't mean anything, anyway.

So, so long, San Francisco.
Remember, if you will,
I'm in love with every street
On every single hill.

The whole, wide world's a highway,
And anywhere you go,
The roads lead back
To San Francisco.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I love that as your daughter, though I don't know this particular song, I know the voice of Glen Yarbrough and the poetry of Rod McKuen.
I love you. I haven't been back there in years, since you moved to PA, but it still felt like home with Dad at Guittard. I'm just glad that Bill is in Chico and Tom and Heather have the southern half covered...I need a connection to that fog and coast.

NanaBuni said...

Praying that God's Blessings continue to flow forth on your lives together. A door has closed and another one has opened, go forward together and continue to LIVE, LAUGH, & LOVE. Save your fork the best is yet to come. I love you guys.

Lynn said...

I often think of "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" ala Tony Bennet. So many of my memories are swirled with the fog and salted air. I will alway hold SF in my heart, even with you gone, it will always be a home to me.